Monday, October 21, 2013

Big boy bed!

Our little man will be 2 in December and today he slept his day nap and has gone to bed for the night in his "big boy bed". We have been thinking about this transition for a while and I was really nervous that it would be delay difficult.

But, this morning I made up his big bed and thought, why not? So at lunch I told him he could sleep in his "big boy bed" and made a bit of excitement about it. After lunch I took him in as per normal, and just sat him in his big bed, read him a story, told him he had to stay in bed, and left the room. 

I was nervous:

- that he would get out of bed and play - which is what I would do if I was him, but I'm honestly not sure if he knows he can get out! He hasn't even tried.
- that he would know that the door was open (because I usually put him in the cot and shut the door - makes it darker in there. But for big bed I left it open - mainly so I could see what he was doing. 

I peeped through the crack in the door and watched him. It was so hilarious. He roamed up and down the bed (we have one of those plastic bed rails that goes 3/4 the length) and tried to touch everything in reach - the walls, a PowerPoint, the change table and a window. Because I was peeping through the crack I could sternly say "no" everytime he touched something he shouldn't. He stopped touching them after a warning (we've been upping the anti with obedience lately and it's paying off - but that's for another post!). 

I was so excited that he fell asleep after about 15 mins at lunch and the same tonight. I'm worried he will wake in the night and not know where he is, but I'm sure I'll only half sleep tonight so I'm bound to hear him.

Anyway, if this is it and he's big bed transitioned I'll be amazed! It was so easy! I had so many people tell me it was easy and if this is it: it is! Will know by tomorrow though, the novelty might wear off. Not taking the cot down just yet because I'm nervous (although maybe tomorrow I'll get hubby to take it down because we need to be all in - and need OB to know that it's big bed time all the time.

Oh one other thing we did - I put the safety gate in his room so that if he wakes earlier than us in the morning he can't roam the house and get into danger, he's confined to his room (where it's reasonably safe!). 

So that's it for now! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinion....