Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Weaning

I spent a whole Thursday deciding how I would gradually wean my 14.5month old off breastfeeds...I even made a plan - I wrote it on paper. I was set - to start in a few weeks, when I was emotionally ready. That night I went to feed OB as usual, nope, he didn't want it. He just wanted to smile at me and touch my face. After trying for 5 minutes I asked my husband to get a sippy cup of milk, which OB also declined. So I red him his usual story and put him down. Straight to sleep. I sat on the verandah hoping he would need me to go in and feed him. He didn't. I was devastated. But at least I still had the morning feed, right? Wrong! He slept from 7pm until 6.30am as he usually does and when I went to give him a feed he just wanted to be up, he walked to his high chair and wanted to sit in it. He knew exactly what he did (and didn't) want. He hasn't had a feed since. His nighttime routine now looks like this:

6pm dinner. Bath. Sippy cup of milk in kitchen. Say goodnight to leppy (stuffed toy). Story. Cuddle. Lights out. Prayer. Place him in bed. Put his music on and walk out the door. We rarely hear a peep out of him.

I assume that means he was ready to wean.

Our day routine for 13 - 15 months looks like this:

6.30 - 7 am wake up (if he's not up by 7 I wake him)
7am breakfast as a family

10am - nap #1

12 - lunch

3pm - nap #2

6pm dinner, bath etc

7pm bed

This age is just amazing :) he can obey instruction such as "OB can you bring your shoes to mummy" and "please stand at your chair for breakfast". It's amazing to see him develop these skills. He will sit for "book time" in his high chair for upto 45 minutes after lunch (which is amazing considering he couldn't do 5 minutes when we first started at 10 ish months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your opinion....